Thursday, November 19, 2015

Rainbow's Arc


(October 24, 2015)  Although I have dedicated pieces to people who were not my students, this is the first piece that I have written that was intended, from the beginning, for a person who is not my student.  This was written for Amy West, whose older brother Ryan studied with me his last four years of high school, and whose sensitive playing of Mompou’s “Pajaro triste” resulted in lots of YouTube fan mail.  

During a break in lessons I heard her practicing across the hall, and was impressed with her musical growth, and decided to write something for her.  She studies with my colleague Sally Traylor, who likes to pass her gifted students to me when they reach a certain performance level.  And she teaches young beginners in a way that I envy.

I asked Amy if she wanted something melodic and reflective, or a little bit flashy.  I began work on a piece titled "Allegro Burlesco", but then this happened.




**


No comments:

Post a Comment