Thursday, August 13, 2015

Crepuscule (Twilight) Transcription from Jules Massenet


(September 8, 2012) This is a transcription I made of the simple and beautiful song "Crepuscule" (Twilight) by the French composer Jules Massenet (1842-1912). This is a homage to one of my favorite sopranos of the early twentieth century, Amelita Galli-Curci (1882-1963) and to one of my favorite living pianists, Stephen Hough (who has also made a transcription of this song.)

Galli-Curci's recording was one of the first recordings of her voice that I heard and owned, and my 78 rpm copy (pictured below, with a link to a video) is still a favorite in my collection,  Back in my college days, I often listened to this, and other historic opera and piano recordings, with my classmate Susan Flick.  This transcription is dedicated to her, and this blog was originally posted on her birthday.  Happy Birthday, Susan!





From my collection, Victor 64807, matrix B-21972, recorded June 10, 1918.



No comments:

Post a Comment